So you know we are all about comfort and efficiency when traveling, especially when you have to worry about all the things your baby needs. Just when you think you have the perfect travel formula all figured out, you forget those few key essentials for the long haul flights. Sure, moomboo will provide your little one with a comfortable, safe place to sleep, play and be changed while on the plane, but there are other little bits and bobs you shouldn’t do without.
We’ve compiled, thanks to our great network of jet set yummy mummies, the top 10 most likely to forget list when you’re traveling on a long haul flight. Hopefully you won’t have to go through the same little hiccups we encountered when we forgot these!
- A blind/shade, so your baby can sleep even when the airplaine lights go back on (an aden anais swaddle; our favourite on the market would do just fine)
- Air mist for you and the baby – as the air gets very dry- specially if you have a little one that has a predisposition to eczema (like one of our munchkins)
- Multiple change of clothes for you and the baby (can you say, baby nausea all over mommy or daddy during a take off or landing? Yes, we’ve been there WITHOUT a change of clothes. Yuk.)
- A headset for the baby – nothing like a little classical music to put your little one to rest and alienate them from the loud noises in the plane (although they do like the engine’s white noise, there is no need to hurt their eardrums!)
- A comfy sling to walk the baby around and carry them through security – we love the Babasling as it isn’t metallic and can easily fit through airport security on you so that if the baby is sleeping you don’t have to take them out or wake them up (unless you run into a crabby security person that makes you do that anyway).
- An Ipad with downloaded baby friendly clips – have you seen the Baby’s First Stroller Book? Its a great little animated booklet that with plenty of visual stimuli for your pumpkin to soak in during the long flight. (This gives you the perfect excuse to get a cute little iPad cover to prevent your munchkin from chewing all over the screen).
- Lots of wipes – not only for the nappy changing(which we are sure you already thought of), but to clean pacifiers, toys, and the seat around you that the baby could lick/touch and meddle around with. You may also want to take extra blankets to put the baby on if they already roll around (otherwise your moomboo will suffice for this)!
- Emergency Calpol/Benadryl – We know, we know, a lot of doctors may not officially endorse this idea, but even our paediatrician winked at us when we mentioned this. It can be a life saver when you have 8 more hours to go and your baby shows no sign of settling down- really!
- 7 Disposable pre-sterilized bottles – you never know how long your flight will be delayed, and if you’re into the simple, compact, convenient disposable world these are it. On the other hand, if you prefer not to use disposable items, then don’t forget a bottle brush and some non bio detergent (in a less than 100ml container) to clean those bottles on the plane!
- Nappy sacs – not necessarily for the nappies, but for all the waste that you accumulate with a baby on board! Although airlines provide them, you may just want to bring your own so you don’t depend on a stewardess to bring you some when you’re desperate to put something stinky, or sticky away!
Although the above is a result lots of air miles (can you say Korea, Thailand, China, Japan, US, Mexico and Argentina?), we are sure we’ve forgotten something too! What are your top picks to make it on this list?